The Somali government’s National Development Plan 2020-2024 views technical and vocational education and training (TVET) as an systematic and important pillar of the national education system. Within this context the development and operationalisation of a national TVET policy and -strategy as well as a national qualification framework are key priorities of the government.
The capacity development of the staff of the relevant TVET departments in the federal government as well as in the member states is an important requirement for the success of the reform endeavours. The overall objective of the present strategic competence development measures is to provide selected management personnel of the GIZ program partners with the fundamentals of TVET and to empower them to translate given TVET policies and strategies in Somalia into strategic and operative action.
At the individual level, distinct training needs have been identified at two levels of management:
- Senior management (Directors of Departments, Heads of Section, Senior Advisors and Directors General)
- Junior management
Both senior and junior management seek to improve and enhance their general TVET knowledge. The focus of the senior management is on strategic level to enhance decision-making skills, while the junior management aims to strengthen their action oriented skills for their operational tasks. The training consists of three phases of intervention:
• Building a solid base on fundamentals of TVET,
• Experiencing good TVET practices during a study visit and
• Follow up training sequences and transfer options to the Somali TVET context.
I. Preparing and implementing a training sequence on Fundamentals of TVET for senior and junior management of the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) on strategic and operational level. The trainings are the following:
- TVET governance, policies, and strategies (senior management)
- Basic understanding of TVET governance, policies, and strategies (junior management)
- QM & QA at national strategic level (senior management)
- QM & QA at national operational level (junior management)
II. Preparing and implementing a study tour on Strategic TVET Management for the senior management of the FGS and federal-state ministries, representatives from the private sector and the management of TVET institutions to Germany, including an online webinar in advance to prepare the study tour.
III. Preparing and implementing a training sequence for senior and junior management of the FGS to follow-up the study tour and for supporting the transfer process in Somalia. The trainings are the following:
- Coordination of TVET sector (senior management)
- Monitoring and coordination of TVET providers (junior management)
- Cooperation with employers (senior management)
- Cooperation and communication with the business sector and other stakeholders